Waterfowl hunting in Iowa has begun. There are some important things to note when hunting ducks, geese and other waterfowl. We have the information you need to be informed on the hunting season in Iowa.
When can I hunt?
There are three different zones and different dates for hunting different waterfowl.
- Ducks, Mergansers, Coots: Sept. 23-Oct. 1, and Oct. 14-Dec. 3
- Canada Geese, Brant, White-fronted Geese: Sept. 23-Oct. 8, and Oct. 14-Jan. 1, 2018
- Ducks, Mergansers, Coots: Sept. 30-Oct. 4, and Oct. 21-Dec. 14
- Canada Geese, Brant, White-fronted Geese: Sept. 30-Oct. 8, and Oct. 21-Jan. 15, 2018
Missouri River Zone
- Ducks, Mergansers, Coots: Oct. 7-8, and Oct. 21-Dec. 17
- Canada Geese, Brant, White-fronted Geese: Oct. 7-15, and Oct. 21-Jan. 15, 2018
What are the zones?
Iowa has three zones. North and South zones are divided by a line starting at Interstate 29 on the IA/NE border to Hwy 175, continues to Hwy 37, then to Hwy 183 to Hwy 141, from Hwy 141 to Hwy 30, and Hwy 30 across the state. Missouri River zone is west of I-29 and north of Hwy 175.
Do I need a license?
It is required that you obtain an Iowa hunting license, pay the habitat fee and Iowa migratory bird fee, and purchase the federal duck stamp. You can do all of this online at the Iowa DNR website here.
What birds can I hunt?
Migratory game bird including; Ducks, mergansers, coots, Canada geese, snow geese, mourning doves, woodcocks, rails and snipes.
More information on waterfowl season in Iowa can be found on the Iowa DNR website. Get out and enjoy the season!
Here at Mossy Oak Properties we want to be sure we pass along information important to you in regards to outdoor recreation, agriculture and home. Check out more information on our Mossy Oak Properties Iowa Facebook page or on our Website found HERE. If you think you might be interested in joining the Mossy Oak Properties- Iowa team you can check out the opportunities available on our website.