Veterans Day is an official United States public holiday, observed annually on November 11, that honors military veterans. This day coincides with other holidays, including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I; major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. The United States previously observed Armistice Day and the U.S. holiday was renamed Veterans Day in 1954.
Veterans Day is a time for us to pay our respects to those who have served. On this day, we stand united in respect for you, our veterans. This holiday started as a day to reflect upon the heroism of those who died in our country’s service. We celebrate and honor America’s veterans for their patriotism, love of country and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.
What can you do on Veterans Day?
- Attend Veterans Day events in your community. If your community has a parade or a service or a breakfast honoring veterans, attend it and thank them in person.
- There are a plethora of wonderful organizations who offer all manner of support, ervices and appreciation for our service members. To get a few ideas for donations you can check with your local veterans affairs office.
Fly the Flag- Correctly.
- Veterans Day is a great opportunity to fly the flag! Just make sure you’re observing the proper rules for display. Not sure what the rules are, you can visit Military.com’s guide to the flag.
Ask Someone About Their Service
- It seems like we all knowsomeone who has served and Veterans Day is a great time to ask them about their service. Some questions to get started are:
- What did you do in the military?
- How long did you serve?
- What was your favorite moment in all your time in the service?
- Did anyone else in your family serve?
- Why did you choose to go into the service branch you did?
Don’t Confuse Veterans Day with Memorial Day
- Veterans Day is a time to thank those who are serving or have served and are still with us. Memorial Day is to reflect and remember those who lost their lives in service to their country. Confusing the two or combining the two diminishes the importance of both.
Get Outdoors With A Vet
- Invite a veteran or a military family to an outdoor activity. Hunting, Fishing or just exploring nature. Did you know that national parks have free admission for all visitors on Veterans Day? Being outside helps improve physical and mental health, boosts emotional well-being, and is a great way to celebrate the day with a veteran.
Whatever you do on Veterans Day make sure you Thank a Vet for all they have done for this country.
Here at Mossy Oak Properties we want to be sure we pass along information important to you in regards to outdoor recreation, agriculture and home. Check out more information on our Mossy Oak Properties Iowa Facebook page or on our Website found HERE. If you think you might be interested in joining the Mossy Oak Properties- Iowa team you can check out the opportunities available on our website.